Why am I receiving a Relay Response timeout with Simple Checkout?
Simple Checkout may encounter the following timeout issue: An error occurred while trying to report this transaction to the merchant. An email has been sent to the merchant informing them of the error. The following is a result of the attempt to charge your credit card. Relay Response is applicable to merchants using Server Integration Method (SIM) and Simple Checkout. It instructs the payment gateway to return transaction results to the merchant using an HTML form POST to a specified URL on the merchant's Web server. A script or program at the URL can be used to create a custom receipt page using the transaction information. The custom receipt page is then relayed back to the customer's browser. Relay Response does not redirect the end user back to your server, but relays your specified Relay URL to the end user through our receipt page instead of displaying our default receipt page. If a Default Relay Response URL is defined, Simple Checkout will attempt to use it. If this URL does not point at a readily available Web page, the above error may result.
There are a few options for directing customers after they submit a transaction through Simple Checkout:
- If you want to use Relay Response, make sure that the Default Relay Response URL points at an existing Web page or script that can be loaded within ten seconds or less.
- If you would prefer instead to use our default receipt page, where you can provide a link for customers to click to return to your website, remove the Default Relay Response URL and set a Default Receipt URL for the Web page or script where your customers should return.
- If you would rather not provide either option, you should delete both the Default Receipt URL and the Default Relay Response URL.
To add, edit or remove the Default Receipt URL or the Default Relay Response URL:
- Log into the Merchant Interface at https://account.authorize.net/ .
- Click Account from the main toolbar.
- Click Response/Receipt URLs under Transaction Format Settings.
- Click Add URL, or click Edit or Delete (if available) to the right of the Default Receipt URL or Default Relay Response URL.
- Enter the complete URL of the page or script you would like to use. If you wish to remove the URL, select it and delete it from the URL field.
- If you are setting a Default Receipt URL, specify the method that should be used to render the page at that URL. The options available are Link, GET, or POST. If you are not sure which you should use, please consult with your Web developer.
Note: If you are setting a Default Receipt URL, you can enter the text that will be displayed for the link, such as "Return To Website.”
- Click Submit.
For more details on Response/Receipt options for Simple Checkout, please see Section Four - Receipt Options in the Server Integration Method (SIM) Developer Guide at http://developer.authorize.net/guides/SIM/.